5 WEEKEND GIRLFRIEND GETAWAY IDEAS

5 WEEKEND GIRLFRIEND GETAWAY IDEAS

I have just returned from a fun weekend away with 4 of my girlfriends. We do this particular trip about once a year and always have so much fun. As I am frequently traveling, and all my girlfriends lead busy lives with work and family commitments, it is always a little tricky to find a date that works for the entire group. It is all too easy to let the responsibilities of everyday life take over. But did you realize there are many benefits to a weekend girlfriend getaway?

Even at the initial planning stage of a trip you can feel the excitement and anticipation grow among our group. Stress levels seem to subside just with the thought of our pending girl time. The weekend is a time to reconnect with each other, catch up with all our news, gossip a little, and be silly in the safety of our little group.

A one or two night break need not cost the earth so don’t use tight budgets as an excuse. Enlisting friends and family with help with childcare, pet care, or work commitments that can be obstacles to getting away will be well worth the payback for the fun you will have while away. But what are your options? I thought I would share five ideas for a weekend girlfriend getaway hoping that one of these might inspire you to grab your girlfriends and book something fun.

weekend girlfriend getaway
    Photo Attribution

Spa Weekend

Who doesn’t like a little pampering? Probably one of the most popular weekend girlfriend getaway ideas is some kind of spa weekend. This can be one of the more expensive options although there are various packages around that can be tailored to your groups specific needs. Real Simple online lists, seven of their best US based options. If you are looking for something a little more exotic then check out Trip Advisor’s extensive 38 page list of spas in  places such as Thailand, Turkey, or Taipei.

weekend girlfriend getaway
    Photo Attribution

Adventure Break

If you would like to be a little more adventurous, then why not book an active weekend away with your girlfriends. This could take the form of a glamping trip that would keep the costs down.  But let your imagination run away with you and find something a little more elaborate to create some amazing memories together.  Check out the Responsible Travel website as it has a variety of ideas ranging from hiking, canyoning (yes, not canoeing, although they offer that too), and cycling breaks.

Photo Attribution
    Photo Attribution

Lazy Beach Weekend

If all that talk of activity is just too exhausting then why not consider a weekend on the beach. Mexico and the Caribbean offer many all inclusive resorts. One of the advantages to going to a resort is that it will offer you other facilities such as a gym for those in the group that need to do something a little more energetic. Of course, if you love the idea of a cabana on the beach with a constant supply of cocktails, check out these options on the website Cheap Caribbean.

Weekend girlfriend getaway
    Photo Attribution

A Weekend City Break

If your weekend girlfriend getaway is near the Christmas holidays then why not consider taking a city break to shop. But who needs that as an excuse! I love visiting Chicago and New York but there are so many great choices out there to choose from. Take a look at the Last Minute website for breaks all over the world.  You might also like the Secret Escapes website that can tailor a break depending on your specific needs.

Weekend girlfriend getaway
    Photo Attribution

A budget option – a staycation

This is a great option to keep costs down. You could book a hotel in your hometown for the group, or even better still have one of the group offer their house as the home base for the weekend (after banishing all other members of the house of course for total privacy). Being in Houston we are lucky to have Galveston on our doorstep and a girlfriend with a beach house that we can all visit. The whole idea of the break is to reconnect with your girlfriends so while the destination is important, the end goal is to relax and enjoy girl time. If you need a few more ideas Living Well Spending Less website has 25 awesome staycation ideas for you to look through.

I hope the above inspires you to plan a weekend girlfriend getaway and if you do, please stop by and let me know where you went.

25 Comments
      • Star Traci says:

I love girl getaways though they don’t happen a lot. The stay cation is a great idea since budget is always an issue.
        🙂
        Traci

• Sue says:

I think a staycation is a great option. Its more about carving out that time to reconnect and banish all those other distractions of life.

• Rachel G says:

I have 5 sisters, and I can definitely see us trying to schedule in things like this in the years to come. The youngest ones still live with my parents, so it’ll be a few years before we’re all independent adults, but as it is, we live in 3 different countries at the moment, so times together with my favorite girls are precious!

• Sue says:

I totally understand Rachel, I spread my time between three countries: US, UK and India so I really look forward to my girl time.

• I’ve had girlfriend weekends and am having a full week this year. I cannot wait. It’s a nice break from being a wife and mother. I love them all dearly but being just me with my girlies is a good reminder of who I am.

• Sue says:

Wow a full week! I think the chemistry in our group works well for a weekend. I wonder if we were all together 24/7 for a week we might begin to butt heads a little. Hope you have a great trip

• I have a girlfriend getaway coming up next month, and now I’m even more excited for it! We try to do one every other year. This time we’re doing a mix of staycation and adventure. We’re heading to Colorado where one friend lives, but renting a cabin out in the mountains.

• Sue says:

Sounds great. I think our trip next year will be in Steamboat Colorado so it will be very different from our regular beach weekend

• Sandy says:

Love this! I try to get away with my cousin most years, but hopefully when life settles down we will do it every year! These are great ideas!

• Tia says:

You’re so right…girlfriend time is very important. It’s nice to have a weekend to just be with your girlfriends to chat, laugh and bond with other women. I love the thought of an adventure getaway. Great suggestions!

• Bethany says:

I think I need a adventure! Girl time is so important, especially with a new baby. Going out and drinking is just not my scene any more, so these ideas are great!! Thank you Sue 🙂

• Good for you, making your girlfriends a priority and yourself. I can only imagine the anticipation that would build up each year, looking forward to a getaway. I need that! A girls’ weekend is being talked about with my friends and I in Big Bear, CA staying at a friend’s cabin. Hopefully it follows through. The beach retreat that you pictured, however, is totally up my ally! Sounds like a dream. -Misty

• Oh, how I love my girlfriend time! It’s a time to recharge, connect, and invest in those relationships that are so important. These are great suggestions!

• Chelsea says:

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this post!!! I’ve always wanted to try skydiving. Girlfriend time is sooo important! I also love your idea to visit the city. My girlfriends and I have done this before because we are all from a small town. It’s so nice to get away!

• Lucy says:

Ooh, Spa Weekend and Lazy Beach Weekend are right up my alley! Since relocating, my girlfriends are all several states away making intentional reunions much more difficult, but all the more necessary!

• Sue says:

I understand Lucy. I have friends on three continents now as I divide by time between three locations so it takes a lot of juggling to ensure I stay connected with all my girlfriends, but it is so worth it.

• T Austin says:

I went for a spa weekend on my 30th birthday last year. Sooo much fun! It was honestly the best getaway ever! Especially without kids!

• Rebekah says:

whoah this weblog is fantastic i love reading your posts.
        Stay up the good work! You recognize, lots of persons are searching
        around for this info, you could aid them greatly.