What are Kolaches? Let this expat explain

What are Kolaches? Let this expat explain

Have you tried a Kolache?

If you are from Texas then I’m betting you are shouting ‘yes of course’. But I was surprised to learn that outside of a few select towns in the South, many people have never even heard of this delicious breakfast staple. If you Google kolache (and let’s face it that’s how most of us get our information) you will find some rather misleading links; for example:

Wikipedia – A Kolach (plural kolache, also spelled kolace or kolacky from the Czeck and Slovak plural koláče, sg. koláč) is a type of pastry that holds a dollop of fruit, rimmed by a puffy pillow of supple dough.

Now maybe I have been hoodwinked, but the only kolaches I have tried are savory not sweet, and I would hesitate to call the outer part pastry (but then again I’m no great epicurean).

What are kolaches?

Now it seems true that they did originate from Eastern Europe. I can best describe them as soft bread-like dough, usually formed into a round shape or sometimes long like a hot dog bun (maybe to accommodate the sausage inside) and filled with a variety of savory fillings.

My first taste was from Shipley Donuts where the options are fairly limited to sausage, sausage and cheese, or sausage and jalapeno (well it is Texas so you need that heat). But then I discovered the Kolache Factory, and wow so many varieties, around 25 I believe.

What’s to love?

Well it’s not the calorific value; so don’t look up the nutritional table if you are watching your waistline. I think a big plus is their portability, they are an easy food to eat on the go – and who doesn’t do that today? With the numerous fillings, they offer something for everyone (once I discovered Kolache Factory as Shipley’s didn’t quite work with my new vegetarian diet).

Kolaches rank high on the ‘must have’ list whenever my out of town daughters arrive back in Houston so I thank their recent visit for all these photo opportunities. Have you tried a Kolache? And if so what’s your favorite flavor? Let me know in the comments below.

Please travel along with me on my adventures by signing up for my VIP’s (Very Interesting Posts) I promise not to bombard your inbox as I only send out once a month, plus I attach free printables!

Happy travels

What are Kolaches?

Free Printables & Members Page

20 Comments
      • Marysa says:

I have never heard of a kolache before! I would love to see what the inside looks like too. These sound delicious – I would love to give one a try. I wonder if there are any bakeries or food stores around me that would sell these. We love trying new foods and I would love to bring some home for everyone to try.

• Sue says:

That’s funny Marysa. I took a few photos of the inside but lets just say they didn’t come out looking that appetising so I decided against using them in this post. More my bad photography skills than the kolaches fault really.I too love discovering new foods when I travel. Let me know if you track any down in your area.

• Lisa Favre says:

I have never had Kolache but it’s definitely something I’m willing to try out! I’ve never even heard of them before but they sound great.

• Sue says:

I had never heard of them before moving to Houston but was quite surprised when visiting friends ‘up north’ who had also never heard of them. They are quite scrummy.

• dee says:

I have never heard of kolaches, but they look really good. I wonder if my local bakery makes them, I would really like to give them a try.

• Sue says:

Im glad I did this post as so many people have never heard of them and they are sooooo good. I hope you get to try them.

• censie says:

I have never heard of these but from the sound of it we need to try them. Thank you for the great recommendation. HOpefully I can either make my own or find a place to buy some. They sound pretty great!

• Sue says:

They would be fun to make as you could really go to town with the fillings. Our grocery stores sell them frozen so I always have a few on hand as they make such a quick and easy breakfast on the go.

• This is the first time I’ve heard about kolache. I didn’t know what it was and was so intrigued so I followed the Kolache Factory link. Oh my goodness, is there any place here that sells those yummy goodies??!!! It is a meal to go, and the fillings are so good! I would love to get my hands on a bacon and cheese or Bar-B-Q beef kolache!

• Sue says:

It makes my mouth water just thinking about them! I’m gradually working my way through all the flavors – purely for research purpose obviously 🙂 Good luck trying to find them if you are out of Texas, it seems they are not popular anywhere else.

• Valerie says:

We enjoy Kolache’s. We have a town in Oklahoma that does a festival totally devoted to them every year. Kolaches are everywhere. They are super yummy.

• Sue says:

I’ve been amazed at how many people have never heard of them as they are so popular here in Houston. I’ll have to ask my daughter about Oklahoma as she went to OU but now she is in New York she cant get them.

• Deepal Shah says:

This is something new to try…though it resemble little like Kannelbulle of Sweden but only by looks….your brilliant description of Kolache makes even more tempting to try once…I will surely suggest this to my US friends…all the more because it is vegetarian too…

• Sue says:

Hi Deepal, finding a vegetarian option can be a little tricky here as Texans sure love their meat, but the Kolache Factory has quite a few that I’ve enjoyed so far.

• Melissa says:

I have never heard of them or tried them for that matter. I moved to Iowa about 3 years ago and they actually have a Czechoslovakian Village in Cedar Rapids near my home that I have never been to but I bet they have some great bakeries and shops to check out. I will have to add this to my food bucket list!

• Sue says:

Hi Melissa, I figured that other parts of the US would have areas where eastern Europeans had settled and shared this delight. Good luck with your search and let me know if you discover any.

• sher says:

i’ve never even heard of a kolache before but these look really intriguing! i’ll have to try them out.

• Funny name but it looks delicious on the picture. I have never been to Texas , Houston especially. But I will add it on my list to visit in case in the near future we stop over to Texas.